Monday, April 26, 2010

Non-Academic or practicing careers with a PhD in Clinical Psychology?

I am currently earning a PhD in clinical psychology but am interested in exploring careers outside of the university. Particularly careers involving violent crime/criminals/psychopathy. However, being at a Research I university, non-academic careers are never discussed. Any advice, resources would be greatly appreciated!

Non-Academic or practicing careers with a PhD in Clinical Psychology?
A career in psychotherapy (or other type of 'talk' therapy) is common for people pursuing a PhD in Psych. You could work in a forensic unit of a hospital, or a secure treatment facility for mentally ill offenders.








You can also check out the APA's site on non-academic careers for research-trained psychologists:


http://www.apa.org/science/nonacad-jobs....





I'm currently getting my MA in Criminology, but my background is in Psychology. I'm doing field work in the forensic unit of a mental health hospital working with a doctor who specializes in sex behaviours. Interesting stuff!





Anyway, good luck with the degree and the job hunt!


No comments:

Post a Comment