Monday, April 26, 2010

What Is The DIfference Between a Bachelor of Applied Science and a Bachelor of Arts for Psychology?

I applied to the psychology program at Universities and noticed Guelph-Humber has psychology but it's a Bachelors of Applied Science...what's the difference if I get a BA, from somewhere else? I'm looking at the social aspects of psychology, not the clinical lab work/research.

What Is The DIfference Between a Bachelor of Applied Science and a Bachelor of Arts for Psychology?
It honestly depends on what you want to do with your career. If you are going to go onto grad school in the area of, lets say, clinical psychology (you don;t want to do research, right?), then a BA in psychology is what you will want. It will be more hands on. If you were going in to psychiatry, research, neuropsych or some other research or medically based field, the science degree will benefit. If you are not furthering your degree after the BA, decided on what career you want to get into. Again, if it's more hands on, stick with the BA. However, just a fair warning, depending on the city you live in, a BA in psych may not get you a good job and you may have to consider furthering your education. I received a BA in psychology and I worked at Starbucks. I have my Masters now and still enrolled and will receive my doctorate in a year. This was the best move for me, takes a little longer, but much more worth it.


You can probably also talk to someone in admissions or a guidance counselor. They will help define it a little better for you, too.





Hope that helps!


Good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment