Thursday, April 15, 2010

At what point of an interview do I inquire about future opportunities in the company?

I have a few job interviews coming up at a number of biomedical and clinical research organizations/hospitals (I am graduating with a Molecular Biology degree in May) Most of the entry-level jobs I'm interviewing for sound interesting, however, they aren't what I want to be doing 5 years from now. I'm just curious when the best time to ask about future oppotunities within the company would be. Should I ask sometime within the interview.... they always inquire as to whether or not I have questions. Or is it better to wait until after they have made a job offer? Is it rude/wrong to ask about the salary of these other jobs? On the same note I'm kind of wondering the same about negotiating salary.... when and how to do it.





Thanks

At what point of an interview do I inquire about future opportunities in the company?
I agree with the response before mine. When they ask if you have any questions, respond in this way: "I previously stated that I would like to have a position with greater responsibilities with this company in a few years. Can you please explain some of the positions that I might qualify for in a few years based on the skills and experience I might obtain from working in this position?"--don't mention anything about the salaries in those positions, you'll go to far and they may see it as being too pushy.





As for the salary for the position you're applying for now...go to sites like salary.com, and put in the job title and location to kind of see the average salary. Try this with different salary calculators websites. None of them will probably give the same answer, so just go with a range. If one says $41,000 and another says $43,000 I would simply state my salary requirement in as a range: low $40,000s or $40,000s.





Good luck with your interview!!!!
Reply:They will most likey ask you where you see yourself in 5 years.





Answer with: Five years from now I would like to be with the same company at a much higher level. What kind of advancement options does your company offer?

braces for teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment