Saturday, April 17, 2010

Would someone who has great difficulty in math find researhc in a clinical psychology PhD program difficult?

I want to go into a PhD program for clinical psychology, but I am an absolute mental-midget when it comes to math, and I know that the PhD programs are research intensive (which means mass amounts of statistics) and I am very concerned that I will have to struggle through five to six years of stats and research (and I refuse to go for a PsyD, I have heard from many people that those with a PsyD are treated like second-class citizens in the field of psychology). I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if my concerns are legitimate or if I am simply over reacting?

Would someone who has great difficulty in math find researhc in a clinical psychology PhD program difficult?
I suppose I would say a little of both. Most programs I have seen only require you to take a year of statistics, so that is the good news. The bad news is it is pretty intense statistics and you will use it all the time from then on out, but if you can survive the year you should be fine.





I wouldn't be so fast to toss out PsyD programs, especially the top ones like Baylor and Rutgers. Depending on what you want to do a PsyD can be a great option. I wouldn't recommend it if you want to be a professor and do research, but if you want to be a clinician it is a completely appropriate degree.





I hope that helps!
Reply:Get a tutor RIGHT AWAY! As in day one of the program if you have trouble. I am dyslexic, but I made it through undergrad stats and am taking MS stats in Sept. I'll do it, it isn't that bad (although I may complain to my husband the whole semester).





I am applying for the doctorate, too. Don't rule out PsyD if you are interested in clinical work, these stereotypes are not pervasive, and are irrelevant when you actually get to the field.





Good luck!

dr teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment