Monday, April 26, 2010

Any Clinical Psychologists/therapists out there?

I was wondering what kind of job I could get with my education and experience so far. I have an MA in Clinical Psychology from Columbia University, but it is only a 1 yr program without any practicum training. I have tons of research experience at UC Berkeley (undergraduate) and Columbia, but very limited clinical experience (volunteered at a Suicide prevention hotline). Also, I have practically zero work experience.


Ideally, I want to get a clinically oriented position as a case manager, or assistant in a treatment program.


I would appreciate any practical advice on the kinds of positions I would be considered for, and even on the typical salary range I should expect.


My ultimate career goal is to have a private practice as a Ph.D. level psychologist (currently waiting for interviews from programs in NY).


Last thing - I am looking for work in either Manhattan or the San Francisco Bay Area

Any Clinical Psychologists/therapists out there?
What do you mean?
Reply:One thing, that you could do, is check with your county civil service department, and ask them, when there is a civil service exam scheduled, in your field..There are many civil service jobs, that will give you the experience, that you will need..It is a very good starting point, and the experience, is invaluable..You can also, check with your state department of civil services..Contact your state representative, and inquire about state exams, which might be coming soon..Good Luck..


No comments:

Post a Comment