Saturday, April 17, 2010

Can a medical school graduate go into research and development? If so, what's the pay like?

I am currently a senior in high school and am considering a medical career. Next year, I'll be attending the University of Michigan College of Engineering. I am interested in medicine but I don't want to be a clinical doctor. I wouldn't mind a job like House, but what I really would want to do is medicine from an engineering prospective.

Can a medical school graduate go into research and development? If so, what's the pay like?
The usual route for someone who wants to do research is to get a PhD instead of a MD. The MD is a professional degree, while the PhD is a research degree (and actually considered a higher degree). Some schools offer combined MD-PhD.





On the whole, MDs probably make more money -- but PhDs in medical research will do pretty well.


No comments:

Post a Comment