Monday, November 16, 2009

Do Clinical Psychologists do more than talk to people in a private session? I keep hearing about research..?

I (at least I think I do) want to be a psychologist and am in college to do so. I just have a question.. If I want to be a clinical psychologist, do I have to do a lot of research too? Can I not just schedule appointments and talk with people daily? Do I have to be constantly doing research? And if so, what would I research on a daily basis?





Like I said, I just keep hearing things but I wanted to ask a few people that knew first.

Do Clinical Psychologists do more than talk to people in a private session? I keep hearing about research..?
There are different specialties within the field of clinical pychology. Indeed, some clinical psychologists do exclusively psychotherapy, while others perform research, often associated with a university. Another speciality is psychological testing, often done for agencies such as the court system, business, Child Protective Services, the prison system, mental hospitals, etc. Many clinical psychologists do some combination of these activities. What you do depends on your interests, your skills, and what is needed in the community in which you work.
Reply:When you hear about them doing research, it means they're conducting experiments to learn new things about psychology.





You don't HAVE to conduct research, but it's the only way to get your name in textbooks (if that happens to be a goal of yours).

broken teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment