Monday, May 4, 2009

How can I get into the clinical research field after getting a PhD in a life science?

I'm finding this very difficult as I am viewed as overqualified for an entry level position, but underqualified for higher level positions because I have no clinical research experience. My goal is to be a clinical trials project manager. I need good advice. Thanks!

How can I get into the clinical research field after getting a PhD in a life science?
I would hate for you to have to downplay your PhD. Where have you been applying? Have you tried contract research companies (they run trials for companies). Pharmaceutical companies may also have their own staff and would probably be more open to highly educated people as yourself, as they generally pay well.





Are you networking? After earning an advanced degree I would expect you to have some contacts in your field. If not, trying contacting appropriate managers at companies you are targeting and ask if they would grant you an informational meeting. Just be up front and tell them that this field interests you and you want to learn more about it. I'll bet if you targeted 10 companies you would find at least 3 managers willing to talk to you for 15-20 minutes in such a "no obligation" situation. They may even decide they like you and keep you in mind when they have an opening! Good luck.
Reply:I attended the CRA program at American Scitech Institute in Piscataway NJ (craschool.com). In order to be a project manager you need to understand the role of the CRA's you are managing. Email me at msantoro@americanscitech.com for information. Report Abuse



No comments:

Post a Comment